Opportunity for a bright and enthusiastic individual to make an important contribution to LJI’s mission by working with and directly assisting our top ranked faculty members. The position will provide administrative support for assigned faculty by implementing a highly organized and efficient workflow for the faculty member, as well as between the labs and administrative departments. An entrepreneurial spirit and “no task too big or too small” attitude will be required, as the workload will fluctuate between basic daily tasks and important special projects. This is a great opportunity for someone that wants a career connected to the latest discoveries in human health.
• Compiles information, prioritizes and coordinates various projects as requested by faculty member(s).
• Processes mail, screens phone calls, maintains appointment calendars, organizes meetings, set-up and maintain administrative files (inventory, personnel files, correspondence, etc.) and interacts regularly with staff and outside contacts.
• Prepares check requests, expense reports, and other administrative forms in accordance with Institute policies and procedures.
• Oversees the management of financial resources, including grants and funds from the NIH, State of California and private foundations.
• Maintains financial information as required to support the financial administration of the laboratory. Conforms to standards set by the Institute and external agency requirements.
• Tracks financial activities and oversee audit activities for complex awards that involve integration of multiple labs to reach research aims.
• Maintains journal subscriptions and society memberships.
• Maintains various databases to help facilitate grant writing (i.e. EndNote bibliographies, Pubmed Central, Pubmed, and other journal “alert” notifications.)
• Assists with preparation of manuscripts.
• Assists with the coordination of editorial work for scientific journals and books.
• Makes travel arrangements including registration, airfare, hotel, transportation, and itineraries, processing reimbursements, reconciling travel accounts and maintaining accurate files.
• Makes travel arrangements/accommodations and meeting schedules for visitors (i.e. collaborators, prospective postdoctoral fellows, etc.)
• Helps coordinate the seminar speaker series for guests of assigned faculty.
• Organizing scientific conferences and events.
• Assists with organization of social functions (i.e. birthday or other special celebrations, recognition of funding received and recognition of publications, Happy Hours, etc.)
• Responsible for ordering office supplies for laboratory areas.
• Provides administrative back up to other RAAs as necessary.
• Completing administrative forms as requested from other institutions that are associated with adjunct professorship appointments, etc.
• Serves as a liaison between the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) and the faculty.
• Assists in completing and submitting all necessary protocols to appropriate LJI committees and maintaining record of current protocol numbers.
• Prepare/maintain CVs and biosketch documents for research staff.
• Collects biosketches from all key personnel, significant contributors and/or consultants, following specific timeline provided by OSR.
• Assists in monitoring due dates of grant applications and progress reports; the primary responsibility for this resides with OSR.
• May review funding and spending patterns of accounts (i.e. monthly animal charges, supplies purchasing, etc.) and ensure charges are going to correct accounts.
• Works with other administrative departments to make sure, where applicable, that the most up-to-date information is being relayed from the labs.
BA/BS. Minimum of one (1) year experience in a professional environment. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to work with Institute personnel and outside contacts in a professional manner, maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information. Ability to exercise flexibility, tact and good judgment. Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Google Apps, and the ability to quickly pick up and understand new software as needed. Desired minimum commitment of 2 years.
How to Apply:
Applicants should send their resume and cover letter attached within a single document to be considered. early submissions are desired and will be examined immediately. Please apply here.