Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Director of Advancement (DDOA) the Advancement Coordinator (AC) will provide administrative support to the Advancement Department including but not limited to maintaining the prospect and donor records in the CRM database (Salesforce); processing gifts and generating acknowledgements; assisting with revenue reporting and reconciliation; tracking department supplies and expenses; providing support for all annual fundraising efforts; and executing special projects on an as-needed basis.
Because this position functions as part of the Advancement team and will frequently interact with the public on the Institute’s behalf, this position requires a professional, welcoming demeanor and strict confidentiality.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
•Assists the DDOA with the production of annual appeal projects including the generation of mailing lists and email lists and developing content for both mail and online appeals; may also work in conjunction with Communications Assistant to build emails in mail chimp as needed
• Executes special appeals as assigned by the DDOA
• Manages the monthly renewal solicitations, including drafting new content as needed
• Creates and sends pledge payment reminders monthly
• Provides monthly revenue reports to Accounting for reconciliation in order to ensure proper coding of gifts and pledges between Salesforce and LJI’s General Ledger
• Supports the DDOA with tasks related to the CFC and other workplace giving campaigns
• Manages online giving platform (Classy) including creating and managing donation pages and email communications as requested as well as the integration between Classy and Salesforce.
• Processes gifts and generates acknowledgments, attaches relevant documents to gift records in Salesforce and assembles and mails acknowledgments in accordance with the department stewardship policy.
• Supports the DDOA in the development and implementation of the Annual Giving Society including but not limited to: sending welcome packets or brochures, managing benefits of membership, recognition on website and in building.
• Develops and sends new donor welcome packets to first-time donors according to department stewardship policy to support donor retention.
• Drafts and maintains materials that support cultivation and stewardship efforts including, acknowledgment letters, list of recent accomplishments at LJI, and research updates by disease
• Supports projects related to maintaining the integrity of LJI’s donor database (Salesforce)
• Generates ad hoc donor data or financial reports/projects as directed
• Updates donor and prospect records as directed by DDOA or CAO, and ensure all gift records are properly coded and documentation of gift and acknowledgment are stored in Salesforce.
• Helps organize the department server and other systems in conjunction with the DDOA.
• Stays current on latest technologies and identifies opportunities for improving efficiency or effectiveness in data management.
Events and Outreach:
• Assists as needed with the execution of Advancement-driven events including but not limited to Life Without Disease Series, Board Dinners and Meetings, PGAC Meetings, private tours, and donor and prospect events (i.e. salon events)
• Attends all Life Without Disease events and manages event set-up, registration desk, event clean-up and registration breakdown.
• Attends Board, PGAC and salon events as appropriate
• Under the direction of the DDOA executes event follow-up tasks including but not limited to mailings, solicitations, capturing addresses in the database, prospect research, database coding
• Supports LJI public tours managed by the Communication department and initial follow up with donor prospects as needed.
General Administrative Support:
• Handles processing of invoices and check requests from vendors
• Reconciles the DDOA and CAO’s credit card statements
• Maintains department’s supply of LJI’s marketing materials and general supplies and orders new supplies as needed
• Catalogues department’s outreach materials for reference (i.e. mailings, event invites, etc.) annually
Fields general inquiries from the public on behalf of the department as needed
In addition, the AC shall:
• Represent the Advancement Department internally as assigned
• Represent LJI externally as assigned
• Other duties as designated by the DDOA or CAO
• Previous administrative support experience, with ability to prioritize, maintain attention to detail, and have a high degree of accuracy.
• Demonstrated experience using personal computers and a wide variety of software for presentations, written communication, data processing, and electronic communication.
• Excellent communication skills, including verbal and written. Ability to write and edit letters and other communications, as needed.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to interact in a positive and effective manner with diverse clientele, including donors, senior management, faculty, and other staff using a high degree of tact, diplomacy, and discretion, with an emphasis on flexibility and professionalism.
• Candidates must possess high level of independence and motivation, to maintain confidentiality, and to anticipate problems and needs of the department, taking necessary actions to mitigate potential negative effects and proactively assisting where possible.
• Prior experience with Salesforce preferred.BA/BS degree preferred.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter enclosed within a single document to be considered. Apply here.
In 2016, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal. The Institute hosts 24 world-renowned faculty and over 70 postdoctoral researchers hailing from 21 different countries. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
Full-time employment at LJI includes a competitive salary, medical/dental/vision benefits, paid vacation/sick leave, and contributions to a retirement plan (403B).
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.