Business Development Officer
The Business Development Officer will direct and manage all business development functions at LJI and work in close collaboration with faculty and management to promote commercial activities and partnerships with pharmaceutical companies. This includes implementing new initiatives and opportunities to advance commercialization of basic research discoveries, development and management of institutional corporate alliances.
An ideal candidate must possess a strong scientific understanding of immunology and have strong interpersonal, management, and communication skills to help formulate intellectual property strategies and business plans, initiate and maintain business contacts, support contract negotiations, and participate in seeking funding to further the development of LJI’s technologies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conducting analysis of markets and technologies, and monitor industry developments.
• Assessing the commercial potential of new invention disclosures.
• Communicating frequently with principal investigators to understand the potential of their scientific programs for commercial development including in the absence of invention disclosures.
• Marketing new inventions and tangible research materials developed at LJI, including development of marketing materials and participation in networking activities to establish and build relationships with companies to promote LJI’s research projects and technologies;
• Seeking out and attracting funding and partnership opportunities with the corporate sector such as license, industrial sponsored research and collaboration agreements.
• Facilitating relationships between the industry and faculty members.
• Developing business models to attract external funding from public and private agencies, and the biotech investment community.
• Background in biological science with experience in immunology-related discipline required. Strong preference for candidates with a MSc. or Ph.D. in the biological sciences.
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience in business development, preference for candidates with experience in both academic and industry environments.
• Strong preference for candidates with an MBA.
• Strong managerial, supervisory, interpersonal and communication skills.
• Courteous and professional attitude, demonstrating tact, diplomacy, confidentiality, sensitivity and flexibility.
• Demonstrated problem solving and conflict resolution skills and ability to work with diverse individuals.
• Self-motivated with excellent time management, organizational, analytical, written and oral communication skills.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to be considered. Please apply here.
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.