The Center for Functional Genomics at LJI is looking for a full-time Core Director who will come in at the Instructor level. The successful candidate will join a team of scientists using cutting-edge technologies to perform high-throughput or genome-wide genetic screens using RNA interference (RNAi) and CRISPR/Cas9 to investigate the genetic basis of diverse biological problems, particularly those related to immune system function. The successful candidate will work closely with the Scientific Director and other investigators at the Institute to design, optimize, implement and analyze large-scale RNAi or CRISPR screens in mammalian cells and organisms. This will involve significant calibration and validation of screening protocols. Additional responsibilities include working with a core team of junior staff in the operation and maintenance of equipment, including integrated robotics platforms. The Core Director will oversee the operation of the facility and screens, directly supervise junior staff members, coordinate data storage and website maintenance with the LJI bioinformatics core, and interface with scientists who wish to set up screens at the Center to advise them on assay development and adaptation of biological assays to high throughput screening (HTS) format. The Core Director is responsible for all screening performed at the facility, and for ensuring that it happens in as efficient a manner as possible.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Working knowledge of current state-of-the-art in HTS equipment, and knowledge and use of software needed to integrate robotic screening platforms.
• Management of human and mouse RNAi libraries, including re-suspension, re-formatting, and arraying of new libraries.
• Through coordination with the LJI bioinformatics core, maintenance of a database that tracks library usage, inventory and storage; implementation of a LIMS system for data and
• Providing desktop support for computers used to control laboratory automation and instruments, and working with Institute IT staff to perform regular backups of instrument
software programs and data.
• Providing tours of the facility for visitors.
• Making presentations and communicating effectively with a wide variety of audiences.
• Ph.D. in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or a related field.
• Five or more years of relevant work experience.
• Specific experience in the use and integration of laboratory robots for HTS and in programming complex liquid handling platforms.
• Knowledge of plate reader technologies and high content screening methodologies.
• Experience with assays used in screening, ability to write and validate assay protocols and ability to advise users on assay development.
• Support level familiarity with relevant computer systems and databases.
• Good communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task.
• Must be excited and enthusiastic about incorporating this technology to current and future scientific projects and endeavors.
About the La Jolla Institute
In 2013, LJI was ranked as the #1 place to work in academia based on a survey by The Scientist magazine. The Institute hosts 24 world-renowned faculty and postdoctoral researchers hailing from 21 different countries. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
How to Apply
Interested candidates MUST submit a CV, cover letter, and a list of three references. To apply, please click HERE
In 2016, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal. The Institute hosts 24 world-renowned faculty and over 70 postdoctoral researchers hailing from 21 different countries. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
Full-time employment at LJI includes a competitive salary, medical/dental/vision benefits, paid vacation/sick leave, and contributions to a retirement plan (403B).
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices,including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.