This is a full-time position and salary will be commensurate with experience. The Director, Intellectual Property and Contracts will report to the Director of Technology Development.
This position is responsible for managing and overseeing LJI’s intellectual property and contract activities. Intellectual property responsibilities include management of LJI’s patent portfolio including supervising invention disclosures processing and filing and prosecution of patent applications. Contract activities include managing commercial sponsored research agreements, inter-institutional agreements and licensing agreements.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Manage LJI’s patent portfolio including supervise prosecution activities including drafting of applications, office action responses, amendments and other prosecution documents for patents that are managed in-house including U.S. and PCT applications filed with the USPTO; supervise correspondence with U.S. and foreign outside counsel and review of applications, office actions responses, amendments and other prosecution documents drafted by outside counsel.
• Manage processing of invention disclosures including review and evaluation of disclosures.
• Oversee drafting and negotiation of technology transfer agreements, commercial sponsored research agreements, inter-institutional agreements and licensing agreements.
• Co-ordinate compliance with grant invention reporting requirements and third party agreements including submission of required proposals, reports and disclosures and monitoring compliance with agreement IP obligations.
• Excellent writing, oral communication, research and analytical skills. Strong management and communication skills. Courteous and professional attitude, demonstrating tact, diplomacy, confidentiality, sensitivity and flexibility.
• Education/Training: 5+ years experience in Technology Transfer and degree in immunology, biology or related field. Preference for patent agent registration with the USPTO or a law degree with a background in patent prosecution and/or contract law.
How to Apply:
Applicants should send their resume and cover letter to be considered. Please apply here.
In 2017, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal. The Institute hosts 24 world-renowned faculty and over 70 postdoctoral researchers hailing from 21 different countries. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
Full-time employment at LJI includes a competitive salary, medical/dental/vision benefits, paid vacation/sick leave, and contributions to a retirement plan (403B).
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.