Under the supervision and direction of the EH&S Manager the EH&S Assistant performs primarily administrative duties, along with some technical duties for EH&S programs within the Institute. This includes database management, record keeping, filing, scheduling for various EH&S programs, and technical duties may include waste management processes, facility and equipment inspections and incident response.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• The EH&S Assistant will be responsible for the following duties
• Coordinate training sessions. Scheduling, arranging, record keeping on regular basis.
• Develop and present training sessions
• Schedule, organize and set up various Institutional safety and compliance meetings, take minutes
• Assist with updating of SOPs and other departmental documents
• Medical Surveillance program coordination
• Communicate with Occupational Health to monitor injury cases, worker statuses
• Coordinate with HR involving WC incident cases
• Maintain materials inventories and databases
• Assist with procurement, invoicing and budgeting
• Institutional compliance committees administrative support
• Maintaining confidential employee files
• Filing and maintenance of various items – including training records, medical surveillance, certifications, permits, fees, accident reports, SDS’s, chemical inventory, etc.
• Coordination of records between EH&S Office and other Institutional Departments
• Medical waste collection and treatment
• Hazardous waste management
• Facility and equipment inspections and decontaminations
• Additional duties as assigned
0-2 years experience in Environmental Health & Safety field. Bachelor’s degree with scientific or public health background preferred. Ability to effectively organize and prioritize tasked workload.
Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Computer competencies required, proficiency with database system management desired. Demonstrate good judgment, and provide excellent customer service. Ability to work with minimal supervision, and independently on assigned tasks as necessary. Requires good communication and organizational skills.
• Must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time.
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
• Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds easily.
• Must be able to use and work on step stool/ladder.
• Must have manual dexterity in both hands.
• Must be able to bend down and/or stoop repeatedly through out the workday.
• Must be able to push and pull carts that could weigh 300lbs.
• Must be able to open doors and pull loaded supply carts through.
• Pre-employment fitness for duty medical exam required.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to be considered. Please apply HERE
In 2016 & 2017, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal. The Institute hosts 24 world-renowned faculty and over 70 postdoctoral researchers hailing from 21 different countries. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
Full-time employment at LJI includes a competitive salary, medical/dental/vision benefits, paid vacation/sick leave, and contributions to a retirement plan (403B).
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.