The La Jolla Institute is growing its team to expand our ability to build a Research Software Development Group and is looking for a creative-thinking Full-stack engineer. You’ll get to tackle new and interesting challenges using research data while crafting an application from the server to the client. Working alongside seasoned scientists and other developers, you’ll hone your skills and learn cutting-edge technologies as you create software that will be used for years to come to improve our understanding of the human body.
You should have a deep understanding of web application development and be comfortable working with both the application and presentation layers of software architecture. You won’t just be working with technology, however – you may also be called upon to work collaboratively with researchers, data scientists, and business users. Most importantly, you’ll be working to create software that will have a lasting impact on human health!
The Opportunity: Full Stack Engineer
The La Jolla Institute is seeking a motivated candidate to combine the art of design with the art of programming. They will work with both front-end and back-end web technologies to build user and system applications. They will also be bridging the gap between the visual elements and the server-side infrastructure, taking an active role on both sides, and defining how the application looks and functions.
The position is also responsible for managing the interchange of data between the server and the users. Their role includes a focus on the development of all server-side logic, definition and maintenance of the central database, and ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end. They will also be responsible for integrating the front-end elements built into the application.
What makes you a great fit for this role:
• At least 3 years of experience working as a software engineer in a technical capacity
• Significant experience and solid understanding of the MVC design pattern using
o SQL (preferably PostgresSQL)
o D3 or other frontend data visualization libraries
• A strong understanding of data structures, algorithms, and effective software design
• Experience writing unit, functional, and performance tests for the web
• Comfort with version control systems (e.g. Git/Bitbucket)
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must work well in an agile environment managing your own time effectively
• Personal Skills
o You will be working with a number of non-technical users. The ability to translate complicated web technologies into lay speak is a must.
o You must be able to organize your work and yourself, including documenting your work for future review/refactoring.
o Strong self-tasking management habits via Jira
o The ability to present your ideas and recommendations to a crowd in a compelling fashion.
Any of the following will make us very excited:
• Master’s in Computer Science, Data Science, or a related field
• Experience with scientific computing
• Familiarity with a statistical package such as R, Matlab, or SPSS
• Experience with the NodeJs/ExpressJS
The La Jolla Institute for Immunology is one of the top immunology research institutions in the world. The work done at the Institute is impactful and important to all human health and well-being. The Institute’s culture focuses on recognition of excellence in the workplace, employee wellness and the production of our only product: research. A strong commitment to work/life balance, one of the best benefit plans in the nation and an engaged executive team are just a few reasons why LJI was rated number one in World’s “Best Places to Work” in Science as reviewed by The Scientist magazine and was selected as 2017 Best Places to Work in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal. There are few places in the world where you can work with talented people, in an amazing business culture and your work helps efforts to improve the quality of life and health for humanity.
How to Apply:
Applicants should send their cover letter and resume to be considered. Please apply here.
• Comprehensive health and dental insurance for employees and their families at reasonable monthly cost
• Life and Disability insurance
• Employee Assistance Program (mental and family health counseling, etc)
• Tuition Assistance Program
• Employee Perks (Discounts on yoga, massage, movie tickets, etc)
• 403b with 10% employer contribution, eligible for contribution after one year
• Pre-tax flexible compensation plan for medical, transit, parking or dependent care expenses (FSA)
• 10 paid vacation days, 12 paid sick days, 11 paid holidays
• Remote work possible after “getting settled” period
• Weekly in-house yoga, snacks/drinks, monthly happy hours, softball teams, summer and holiday events and more
• LJI is an active participant in conferences
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.