Grants & Contracts Assistant
La Jolla Institute for Immunology (LJI) is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated individual to complement its existing Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) staff.
If you pride yourself on outstanding professional results and customer service while advancing the cause of human health then La Jolla Institute wants to hear from you. The Grants & Contracts (G&C) Assistant position is full-time. Starting compensation will vary based on your previous experience.
About La Jolla Institute
Since its inception 30 years ago, La Jolla Institute has solely dedicated itself to understanding the far-reaching power of the immune system because we believe that no other biomedical discipline has greater implications for human health than immunology.
LJI is a world-class biomedical research institute and facility located in the Science Research Park on the UC San Diego campus, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer. For three consecutive years, LJI has been ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal.
Office of Sponsored Research
OSR serves as LJI’s coordinating hub for all grant or contract submissions to Federal and State agencies, non-governmental organizations, and private foundations. Externally funded project proposals submitted by Faculty, Instructors, Postdoctoral Fellows, and Graduate Students are the lifeblood of LJI.
OSR’s primary mission is to provide administrative and technical assistance to all LJI research staff during the grant or contract application preparation and submission process (e.g. business information, budgeting, special instructions/restrictions, and navigating sponsors’ online systems as well as their guidelines). OSR works to enhance the cooperation and support afforded to all institute research staff. Our top priority is to ensure that every LJI investigator’s dedicated OSR proponent has the tools and resources necessary for successful proposal submission and ultimately award acceptance. Additionally, OSR operates in close concert with institute leadership, ranging from corporate officers to other managers, on all manner of cyclical and special ad hoc projects. When the need arises, we also run point for LJI PIs on funded projects and coordinate with Human Resources, Accounting, Technology Development, and other departments.
Under the direction of the Senior Manager for OSR, the G&C Assistant will personify increased capacity with respect to various aspects of the proposal development process for a host of potential sponsors. The G&C Assistant is also expected to help alleviate the associated paperwork and data entry burdens for both the pre-award and non-financial post-award functions that OSR routinely performs. The position will work directly with all OSR staff members, some other internal admin departments, and possibly with select research staff or subcontractor personnel. Coordination within OSR in setting and sticking to priorities while adapting to evolving situations will be essential for team cohesion and effectiveness. In order to be successful, this person must exude an eagerness to render assistance at all times in any area relating to OSR’s planning, preparation, communication, calendaring, documentation, photocopying, scanning, routing, review, data entry, labeling, or filing.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Provide specific clerical support to all OSR staff during the performance of some of their duties. This may include but is not necessarily limited to:
• Aid in the communication and collection of required information and electronic files.
• Complete and maintain a multitude of application/subcontract forms and department templates.
• Assist in the routine routing and gathering of documents/signatures for applications and consortium agreements.
• Enter/update timely/accurate data in LJI’s Sponsored Research System (SRS), the Award Vision module of Serenic Navigator, and other internal databases/spreadsheets.
• Run exclusion searches in SAM and save them prior to issuance of sub-award.
Help to collate and organize proper documentation and backup at all times for proposed, active, or closed-out grants and contracts.
• Keep up a central list of subcontract agreements with external parties.
• Preliminarily prepare budget setups and adjustments for internal OSR review.
• Supplement effort on certain nonrecurring, cyclical, or ongoing projects as needed.
• Other Duties as Assigned: The above represents the most typical tasks performed. It is recognized and understood that many other closely related duties not specifically mentioned here may also be required from time-to-time, whether on an ad hoc or a continual basis.
What We’re Looking For
• Must have a B.A./B.S. degree OR any equivalent combination of education and hands-on experience from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
• Must demonstrate the abilities to: report to work on time, follow directions from both the written word and personal direction, interact effectively with co-workers, understand and follow explicit workplace guidance or procedures, and enter or update data sources in parallel with paper files.
• Must possess excellent organizational talent, competent computer skills, a high degree of flexibility, as well as the capacity to function calmly and efficiently in what can be at times
short-term stressful, deadline-driven situations, often requiring tact and diplomacy.
• Must be proficient with Excel, Word, Adobe, and other misc. general use office software.
• Must be comfortable asking many questions, able to accept and deliver constructive criticism gracefully, and considerate of shared office space, resources, tools, and misc. accessories.
• Must embrace a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating at all times in a manner that ensures frictionless and productive working relationships with immediate co-workers, other colleagues, and all administrative or research personnel that you come into contact with.
Preferred but not required: Three to nine months of direct professional experience working in an office environment. Any exposure to grants & contracts, Gmail/Google Drive/Sheets, Cayuse 424, FileMaker Pro 16, and Serenic Navigator will be considered a plus.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must submit their resume to be considered. Please apply here.
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.