The Human Resources Assistant is responsible for providing support to the Human Resources Department staff in the performance of their respective professional duties. Coordination with supervisor in setting priorities is essential to team cohesion and efficient use of administrative assistance. Assists department in employment, HRIS, benefits, employee relations and the wellness program. This is a temporary assignment from November 2016 to December 2017.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Recruitment/Employment: Drafts position announcements and posts them in appropriate resources – internal job board, LJI website, traditional and online resources. Coordinates incoming resumes and applications, interview scheduling, phone screening and reference checks. Sends appropriate responses to all applicants, candidates, and new hires. Prepares offer framework with input from HR Department. When appropriate, extends employment offer. Communicates start date as well as prepares recruitment packets and materials. Provides institute tours and introductions for all new hires. Also works closely with temporary agencies to fill any needs for various departments.
• Affirmative Action Program: Ensures compliance with program through record maintenance and applicant tracking database. Collects all job applications and AAP forms and surveys at time of interview for program analysis. Completes annual EEO-1 reports.
• Employee Relations: Tracks gifts, rewards and recipients for employee recognition program. Coordinates the ordering and engraving of the milestone anniversary gifts. Assists HR Administrator to coordinate annual company events. Provides employee discount tickets for various venues and movies. Spearheads initiatives for various employee morale projects and activities.
• HRIS and Personnel File Administration: Files all confidential material as received. Updates employee files to document personnel actions and to provide information for payroll and other uses. Examines employee files to answer inquiries and provides information to authorized persons. Processes requests for employment verification. Responsible for data entry and maintenance of the HRIS and ITO Program.
• Administrative Duties: Processes all HR related check requests and expense reports. Other duties include photocopying, filing, labeling, courier (FedEx) shipments, and processing mail. Handles and orders all HR office supplies
• Newsletter: Editor for the quarterly newsletter. Assists HR Department with ideas, articles and layout of newsletter.
• Reports: Responsible for updating Institute organization chart and new hire start date list. Also responsible for generating various reports when requested from various departments.
• Record Keeping: Maintains personnel and benefit files.
• Workers’ Compensation Insurance: Assists with filing WC claims. Acts as a member of the Safety Committee.
• Training: Responsible for researching and presenting appropriate training and seminar options based on training assessments, and supervisor or employee requests.
• Budget: Assists in planning for next fiscal year HR budget and EMH&W Program by making recommendations on new budget items and tracking cost increases and/or changes to existing budget items.
• Maintains mandatory posters for bulletin boards at all locations.
• Takes on special projects as assigned.
• Must be organized, enthusiastic, creative, and have excellent communication skills.
Works on problems of moderate scope where analysis of situation or data requires a review of identifiable factors. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action. Requires a Bachelors degree or equivalent with a minimum of 0 to 2 years of related experience. Normally receives general instructions on routine work, detailed instructions on new assignments.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should include their resume to be considered. Apply here.
In 2016, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
Full-time employment at LJI includes a competitive salary, medical/dental/vision benefits, paid vacation/sick leave, and contributions to a retirement plan (403B).
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.