The Immune Epitope Database (IEDB) is hiring a Bioinformatics Software QC and Support Specialist to provide technical assistance to users of the IEDB software packages, and improve the quality and robustness of its codebase. A special emphasis will be placed on providing support to users with a paid subscription, which includes over 30 biotechnology companies located across 3 continents, that utilize the IEDB for cutting edge applications in cancer immunotherapy, vaccine design for infectious diseases, and de-immunization of protein therapeutics. The successful candidate will have at least some programming experience with the ability to quickly zero in on potential sources of issues.
● Responding to customer requests in real time through our Zendesk system
● Verifying issues independently, coordinating a fix with our development team, and define automated (unit) tests to ensure issues do not recur
● Preparing updates and patches to the Virtual Machine image
● Pushing updates for the Virtual Machine image and Standalone Tools to customers
● Creating and maintaining documentation regarding resolved issues, including procedures followed to prepare updates and patches
● Implementing new features requested by customers in coordination with the development team
Desired Skills & Experience
● Experience with Zendesk or similar ticketing system
● Experience with VMware products (e.g., vSphere, VMware Player, etc.)
● Some programming experience with Python, Perl, and Bash
● Experience with version control systems, such as Subversion and Git
● Coursework or experience in bioinformatics, immunology, and/or basic biology would be a plus
● Experience with containerization (e.g., Docker, Singularity) would be a plus
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must, as this position includes interfacing with customers and internal personnel via email, telephone, conference calls, and in-person meetings.
● The ability to critically evaluate a technical issue to understand it’s most probable source.
● A meticulous attention to detail would aid in creating documentation that is of value to others.
● An understanding of how to manage priorities and an ability to adapt to changing priorities is important.
● You will be directly reporting to the Senior Manager of the Bioinformatics Core and will provide quarterly updates to the IEDB Project Manager. Issues will need to be reported to other members of the development team. The position will also require interaction with the Technology Development department that manages all external licenses of the IEDB Analysis Resource.
How to Apply
Interested applicants please submit resume/CV and cover letter enclosed within a single file attachment. Please apply HERE
In 2013, LJI was ranked as the #1 place to work in academia based on a survey by The Scientist magazine. The Institute hosts 23 world-renowned faculty and over 70 postdoctoral researchers hailing from 21 different countries.
In 2016 and 2017, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal.
LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
Full-time employment at LJI includes a competitive salary, medical/dental/vision benefits, paid vacation/sick leave, and employer contributions to a retirement plan (403B).
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.