This is a training opportunity/unpaid internship available to a current undergraduate (upper division standing preferred) who is interested in gaining laboratory skills in Dr. Yun-Cai Liu’s lab.
· Knowledge of basic lab techniques and terms (pipetting, sterile technique, serial dilutions, solution preparation and cell culture).
· Strong background in molecular biology, cell biology techniques, and genotyping of mice.
· Attention to detail and ability to learn quickly.
· Additional skills required: basic computing skills-particularly in Excel, following experimental protocols, maintaining clear and detailed lab notebooks is a must; ability for independent thinking and strongly self-motivated.
· A 1 year commitment is required and students in their 2nd/3rd year are preferred.
· This position will require a full time commitment during the summer with 8-20 hours being required during academic time.
The Lab Intern will be expected to assist the Research Technician/PostDocs with experiments and lab maintenance. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, management and genotyping of the mouse colony, tissue culture work using sterile techniques and general lab maintenance.
Must be willing to work with laboratory mice
How to Apply
Interested candidates MUST submit a CV, cover letter, and a list of three references. Please enclose all documents within a single attachment. Please apply here.
In 2018, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal. The Institute hosts 24 world-renowned faculty and over 70 postdoctoral researchers hailing from 21 different countries. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.