Lab Processing Assistant (Part-time)
The Lab Assistant will be responsible for working within the Clinical Studies’ processing lab. The assistant will receive both internal and external clinical samples, isolate specific cell types, and process the samples according to the collaborator’s request. Lab duties will include PBMC isolation from whole blood and leukapherisis samples, RNA/DNA extraction, cryopreservation, order and stock lab reagents and supplies, lab maintenance, data entry and tracking. The Lab Assistant will provide additional support in coordinating processing requests and setting up logistics for various studies. Occasional courier services requested.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Receive blood samples as they are delivered, drawn in the Institute, or scheduled to be picked up
• Peripheral blood mononuclear cell (PBMC) isolation and cytopreservation
• RNA/DNA extraction
• Data entry & tracking
• PDF invoices and file organization
• Enter patient demographics/information utilizing multiple database systems
• Organize, track, and/or deliver samples within the Institute or store for future use
• Reagent preparation and supply inventory
• Routine lab maintenance
• Follow all standard operating procedures including safety and quality standards
• Interact with research staff in an effort to process samples in accordance with the procedures of each study
• Some laboratory experience
• General knowledge of lab equipment, bio-safety cabinet, and aseptic technique
• Possess some knowledge in cell cultures and molecular biology
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience/knowledge
• Attention to detail and effective written and verbal communication
• Able to handle repetitive and stressful situations caused by high volume and deadlines
• Must be able to adjust schedule to meet business unit requirements, which may include extended hours or early/late shifts
• Work effectively and maintain organization while in a fast paced environment by multi-tasking and delegating or asking for help when necessary
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter enclosed in a single-file attachment to be considered. Please apply here.
In 2018, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
LJI Provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social/recreational programs.