Maintenance Mechanic I
Under the direction of the Facilities Supervisor, this position is responsible for facility general maintenance, repair, and light janitorial duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assists with work order requests for general maintenance items in a timely and efficient manner.
• Performs basic maintenance and upkeep on the interior and exterior of the building, parking lot, outside lighting, patios and garage areas as directed by the Facilities Supervisor.
• Assists with an performs basic building central plant service, repair, and preventative maintenance as directed by Facilities Supervisor.
• Maintains equipment, operation and maintenance logs, service records and service manuals. Interfaces with preventative maintenance contract service providers.
• Responds to equipment and building alarms. May be required to respond after operational hours, including weekends.
• Must have the flexibility to work an 8-hour shift starting as early as 4am and as late as 2pm. The shift start time may vary based on workload and schedule.
Minimum 3 years prior experience in a maintenance or mechanical service-related industry. High school diploma required. Good mechanical aptitude and electrical skills are desirable. Must havve computer skills and be familiar with MS Office. Must possess a valid California driver’s license and have daily access to own vehicle for ability to run errands for the Institute. Must meet and maintain the driving standards as described by the Institute’s policy and procedure manual. Ability to work with minimal supervision and independently on some assigned tasks is necessary. Must have working knowledge of diagnostic equipment, power tools and common hand tools. Must be able to provide 24-hour emergency response. In addition:
• Must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time.
• Must be able to lift 50lbs
• Must be able to lift and carry 25lbs easily
• Must be able to use and work on step stool/ladder
• Must have manual dexterity in both hands
• Must be able to bend down and/or stoop repeatedly throughout the workday
• Must be able to pull carts that could require a rolling starting force of 125lbs
• Must be able to open doors and pull loaded supply carts through.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their resume to be considered. Please apply here.
In 2018, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego business Journal. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.