Oversees the day-to-day operation and maintenance of the facility. Acts as liaison with outside maintenance contractors and provides direction for completion of necessary work. Responds to equipment and building alarms during and after operational hours. Modifies, maintains, and repairs the physical plant electrical, mechanical and structural systems. Maintains high-pressure air systems, vacuum systems, HVAC, plumbing, carpentry and DI water system. Supervises preventative maintenance, service, and repair of laboratory equipment. Oversees the general maintenance, installation, and relocation of equipment and furniture.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Assists the Director of Facilities and Operations in the continued operation of the core plant and equipment used in research operations, including any emergencies that may arise.
• Completes work order requests for general maintenance items in a timely and efficient manner.
• Performs maintenance and upkeep on the exterior building, parking lot, outside lighting, patios and garage gate, as required. Checks, cleans, and repairs building and lab equipment.
• Starts up and shuts down the boilers daily, which includes blow down and safety checks.
• Responsible for equipment and plant service, repair, and preventative maintenance. Actively identifies problems or potential situations and works with the Director to determine the
course of action necessary.
• Actively researches and makes recommendations on system improvements for the purpose of better efficiency and/or cost savings.
• Performs minor repairs on laboratory equipment including CO2 manifold delivery system, air compressors, DI water system, vacuum system, environmental rooms, hoods, pumps, ice
machines, centrifuges, refrigerators, and freezers.
• Oversees the contracted maintenance of Glassware and Animal Facilities. Performs the daily and monthly inspections and/or testing of DI water system, emergency generator, safety
equipment, air conditioning and heating units.
• Performs routine repair and maintenance of the building including floors, walls, ceiling tiles, doors, drains, restrooms, lunchrooms, darkrooms, laboratories, electrical wiring,
plumbing, lighting and remodeling.
• Maintains logs, records and service manuals. Maintains and supervises preventative maintenance contracts.
• Assists EH&S Manager in relocation and bulking of waste drums. Responds to equipment and building alarms during and after operational hours. Inspects and maintains all facility gases
located in individual labs.
• Provides support to the Receiving Clerk as needed and acts as a backup in the Receiving Clerk’s absence.
Minimum 4 to 8 years prior experience in Facility Engineering. Must demonstrate the ability to read blueprints, tech manuals and manufacturer’s data. Must have computer skills and be familiar with MS Office and Facility Preventative Maintenance programs. Must have a working knowledge of diagnostic equipment, carpentry and machine shop tools. Should also have a working knowledge of OSHA, Cal-OSHA, HazMat, building, fire and other codes. Must be able to provide 24-hour emergency response.
How to Apply
Candidates should submit a resume to be considered.
To apply, please click here.
In 2016, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal. The Institute hosts 24 world-renowned faculty and over 70 postdoctoral researchers hailing from 21 different countries. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
Full-time employment at LJI includes a competitive salary, medical/dental/vision benefits, paid vacation/sick leave, and contributions to a retirement plan (403B).
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.