Research Administrative Assistant
Opportunity for a bright and enthusiastic individual to make an important contribution to LJI’s mission by working with and directly assisting our top ranked faculty members. The position will provide administrative support for assigned faculty by implementing a highly organized and efficient workflow for the faculty member, as well as between the labs and administrative departments. An entrepreneurial spirit and “no task too big or too small” attitude will be required, as the workload will fluctuate between basic daily tasks and important special projects. This is a great opportunity for someone that wants a career connected to the latest discoveries in human health.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintain faculty calendars, organize lab meetings, and where possible, keep the faculty and lab schedule organized.
• Prepare check requests, expense reports, AmEx reconciliation and other administrative forms in accordance with Institute policies and procedures.
• Process mail; including but not limited to incoming/outgoing mail for the faculty and lab, FedEd shipments, and other items as needed.
• Maintain various sources of information such as EndNote, tables for the T32, UCSD adjunct professorships, Pubmed, LJI website, LinkedIn and other journal “alert” notifications.
• Make travel arrangements for faculty, postdocs, and special visitors. This includes registration, airfare, hotel, transportation, and itineraries.
• Help coordinate the seminar speaker series for guests of assigned faculty.
• Organize scientific conferences, events, and other social functions.
• Responsible for ordering and maintaining office supplies for laboratory areas
• Provide administrative back-up to other RAAs as necessary
• Serve as a liason between the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) and the faculty to ensure grant applications, progress reports, and other documents are accurate and timely.
• Assist in completing, submitting, and maintaining all protocols.
• Prepare/maintain CVs and biosketch documents for faculty and research staff
• May review accounts (i.e. monthly animal charges, supplies purchasing, etc) to help ensure charges are going to correct accounts
• Acts as seminar coordinator for onsite guest lecturers and speakers
• Other special assignments will come up frequently based on the needs of the faculty
BA/BS. Minimum of one (1) year experience in a professional environment. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to work with Institute personnel and outside contacts in a professional manner, maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information. Ability to exercise flexibility, tact, and good judgement. Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Google apps, and the ability to quickly pick up and understand new software as needed.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter enclosed within a single-file attachment to be considered. Please apply here.
In 2018, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego business Journal. LJI us located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.