The research technician position is a full-time position at the La Jolla Institute for Allergy & Immunology in the field of cancer immunology research.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the principal investigator and postdoctoral scientists, the Research Technician will assist in performing research in immunology/cancer biology. The Research Technician is responsible for assisting in the maintenance of the animal colony, including husbandry and breeding. In addition, the Research Technician will perform maintain cell lines, perform PCR, and flow cytometry.
The Research Technician is also responsible for preparing buffers, solutions, and routine lab chemicals, and is responsible for laboratory administrative duties that include maintaining a research database, data entry into spreadsheets, and ordering/receiving supplies. Other duties include installing, operating, and maintaining laboratory equipment, as well as organizing and keeping accurate and meticulous records of all reagents in freezers, refrigerators, and liquid nitrogen tanks.
• Candidates must have a B.A./B.S. or higher in a biological science, chemistry, or biochemistry. Previous experience in a cellular/molecular biology laboratory is preferred
Theoretical knowledge of Biology, Immunology, Cell Biology or related field at the college “upper division” level; or equivalent knowledge and experience.
• Demonstrated proficiency in basic and advanced tissue culture techniques.
• Proven proficiency in preparation of slides, image acquisition and analysis for immunofluorescence studies.
• Demonstrated proficiency in PCR and flow cytometry.
• Demonstrated proficiency in animal dissection, injections, and animal husbandry.
• Proven experience using laboratory equipment such as centrifuges, autoclaves, spectrophotometers, balances, and pH meteres.
• Proven experience in accurate record keeping with ability to organize, analyze, and calculate data.
• Superior oral and written communication skills.
• Employee must be willing to perform experiments involving the sacrifice of laboratory mice.
• Must be willing to work with recombinant DNA and biohazardous materials.
• Must be willing to work with human tissue
How to Apply
Candidates must submit their CV, a list of three references, and a cover letter all enclosed as a single attachment in the application. To apply, please click HERE
In 2016, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal. The Institute hosts 24 world-renowned faculty and over 70 postdoctoral researchers hailing from 21 different countries. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
Full-time employment at LJI includes a competitive salary, medical/dental/vision benefits, paid vacation/sick leave, and contributions to a retirement plan (403B).
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices,including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.