We are seeking a full-time Laboratory Research Technician for a position in the laboratory of Professor Shane Crotty at the La Jolla Institute for Allergy & Immunology (LJI) working on high-impact scientific projects in vaccine immunology. The Crotty laboratory works on vaccines and vaccine immunology (Science 2009, Science 2016, Nature Immunology 2016, Immunity 2018). This laboratory research technician position is to work on fundamental CD4 T and B cell biology in mouse models, to better understand how to rationally design future vaccines. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, handle highly complex work tasks, be able to work efficiently, carefully record and organize experiments, and sustain independent projects as well as work as a member of a team.
Under the supervision of the Professor and PhD level lab scientists, the research technician will assist in performing research in vaccine CD4 T and B cell immunology. The research technician will perform a wide range of immunological techniques, such as immunizing genetically modified mice, isolating lymphocytes and tissues from mice, microscopy, cell culture, ELISAs, and 12+ parameter flow cytometry on complex samples.
Candidates must have:
• B.A./B.S. or higher in a biological science, chemistry, or biochemistry
• Theoretical knowledge of biology, immunology, cell biology or related field at the college “upper division” level; or equivalent knowledge and experience
• Experience using laboratory equipment
• Accurate record keeping skills with ability to organize and analyze data
• Superior oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Previous experience in a laboratory is not required, but 1-5 years of laboratory experience in cell biology, immunology, or molecular biology is strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated proficiency in flow cytometry or other immunological techniques is preferred.
• Must be willing to commit to 2+ years of research in the lab
• Must be willing to work with recombinant DNA and biohazardous materials.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants please submit a cover letter, resume, and at least two professional references listed with contact information. Please enclose all required documents within a single file attachment when applying.
Please apply HERE
In 2013, LJI was ranked as the #1 place to work in academia based on a survey by The Scientist magazine. The Institute hosts 23 world-renowned faculty and over 70 postdoctoral researchers hailing from 21 different countries.
In 2016 and 2017, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal.
LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
Full-time employment at LJI includes a competitive salary, medical/dental/vision benefits, paid vacation/sick leave, and employer contributions to a retirement plan (403B).
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.