The La Jolla Institute is seeking a highly motivated, independent, and detail-oriented individual to serve as a research technician in a cutting edge Next-Generation Sequencing and High Throughput Automation Core. The candidate would acquire skills in the operation of liquid handlers (Biomek and Hamilton), Illumina sequencers, manual and robotic NGS library preparations, and other relevant genomic techniques. He or she would support in daily operations, including but not limited to, sample processing for sequencing, executing and developing innovative protocols, running sophisticated equipment, the training of researchers on instruments, and some minor administrative tasks. We are a high-throughput facility, often handling large arrays of samples at a given time, therefore, organization, record keeping, and attention to details is a must. Candidates would have the opportunity to work with top level researchers and support their experiments by producing the highest quality NGS data.
Responsibilities will include:
• Nucleic acid extraction
• Maintain database (proficiency REQUIRED in Microsoft suite: Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint)
• Use of high throughput robots (Biomek FXP, Hamilton Star) for a variety of protocols
• Generate high-quality NGS libraries via various kits on numerous sample types
• Assess the quality and quantity of respective libraries using appropriate equipment (Qubit, Bioanalyzer, Tapestation, and qPCR)
• Keeping accurate laboratory notes and logging sample QC data
• Operating Next Generation Sequencers (Illumina Miseq, Hiseq, Novaseq)
• Perform routine laboratory duties and maintenance of instruments
• Participate in the development of new technologies and protocols
• Conduct training for researchers
• Inventory of reagents and consumables
Education and Experience:
A BS or BA in Molecular Biology (or related) with minimum 2-3 years of laboratory experience or an MS. Candidate should have considerable experience with molecular biology techniques such as DNA/RNA extraction, NGS library preparation, cloning, or protocols similar in nature. Next Generation Sequencing experience is very desirable and familiarity with robotic liquid handlers would be a major plus. Must be well versed in Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint. The candidate should appreciate a high level of standards, delivering quality work, and learning state-of-the-art technology within an institute whose mission is improving health and furthering the field of immunology.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter enclosed within a single-file attachment to be considered. Please apply here.
In 2018, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego business Journal. LJI us located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social and recreational programs.