The Center for Functional Genomics at LJI is looking for a full-time Research Technician II. The successful candidate will join a team of scientists using cutting-edge technologies to perform high-throughput or genome-wide genetic screens using RNA interference (RNAi) and CRISPR/Cas9 approaches to investigate the genetic basis of diverse biological problems, particularly those related to immune system function. The research involves molecular biology, mammalian cell culture, biochemical assays, database management and working with both small and large-scale automation. We are seeking candidates who are diligent and meticulous, have good communication skills, display initiative and harbor a strong desire to contribute to a friendly and collaborative lab environment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Must be organized and be able to keep legible, reproducible records
• Must practice cleanliness/sterile technique
• Highly responsive to e-mails and other communications in a professional manner
• Maintenance of tissue culture rooms
• Replenish stock solutions and materials as needed
• Read manuals and scientific literature, be able to troubleshoot equipment as needed
• Maintain database (proficiency REQUIRED in Microsoft suite: Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint)
• Use of high throughput robots (Biomek FXP, Hamilton Star) to perform high-throughput cherry picks, propagations, pools, etc.
• Knowledge of molecular bio/immunology techniques
• Assist research projects as required
• Responsibilities include some general lab maintenance
• B.S. in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or a related field
• 1-3 years of relevant work experience
• Good communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task
• Familiarity with and enthusiasm for basic biological research
• Pertinent laboratory experience will be favorably considered
About the La Jolla Institute
In 2013, LJI was ranked as the #1 place to work in academia based on a survey by The Scientist magazine. The Institute hosts 24 world-renowned faculty and postdoctoral researchers hailing from 21 different countries. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
Interested candidates MUST submit a CV, cover letter, and a list of three references. To Apply click here.