Under the direct supervision of the Vivarium Supervisor, the Vivarium Technician I is primarily responsible for maintaining cages and accessories in a clean and sanitary state. Routinely will be responsible for autoclaving cages and accessories for use in the animal rooms. Responsible for maintenance of animal facility in compliance with USDA, NIH, AAALAC and other applicable laws and regulations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Clean and sanitize cages and accessories
• Operate and maintain cage wash and autoclave equipment
• Fill clean cages with bedding
• Set up units for specialized caging for either sterile or BSL2/3 animals
• Wash and sterilize water bottles and fill with acidified water
• Maintain ample supply of clean cages and accessories for use by Investigators
• Daily maintenance of cage washer and autoclave
• Sweep, mop and disinfect floors in washrooms, halls and support areas
• Facility sanitation responsibilities include disinfecting walls, ceilings and other surfaces on a routine basis
• Cleans and sanitizes the support equipment
• Euthanize animals in accordance with AVMA guidelines and prepare carcasses for disposal.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
High school diploma or equivalent.
AALAS certification at ALAT or higher level desired.
Previous laboratory animal experience a plus.
Knowledge of customer service principles and practices.
Ability to exercise diplomacy in interactions with a multinational scientific staff.
1. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds easily.
2. Must be able to use a step stool/ladder to reach objects overhead.
3. Must have manual dexterity in both hands.
4. Must be able to bend down and /or stoop repeatedly throughout the workday.
5. Must be able to push and pull carts that could weigh 300lbs.
6. Must be able to open doors and pull loaded supply carts through.
7. Must be able to understand and follow verbal instruction in English.
8. Must be able to read and interpret (understand) documents such as safety rules, standard procedures, operating instructions for cage washing equipment and autoclaves, etc., which are written in English.
9. Must be able to maintain written records in English as required by SOP and regulations.
10. Must be able to work prolonged periods wearing personnel protective equipment such as masks, gloves, lab coat or scrubs and other apparel as required.
11. Must not be allergic to animals or their bedding.
12. Must be able to stand for prolonged periods. This job has very limited work while sitting.
13. Must be able to see and identify differences in cage and accessory types.
14. Must be able to observe visually the cleanliness of cages and accessories.
15. Must be able to work weekends and holidays on a rotating basis.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, list of 3 professional references, and copies of any certifications to be considered.